How to Choose a Custom Home Builder

Thursday, March 13, 2014

under constructionHere it is Mid March and hopefully spring is on the way, somebody should remind Mother Nature. Anyway as more and more of my friends and associates get ready to have a custom home built, I get the call "how do I find a good builder"?

A great question, you would think that in this day and age there would be an independent listing of Home Builders with some type of comments or rating. Well as it turns out resources for this are limited to the following: visit your local HBA for homebuilder listing, word of mouth, google and recently a site called Hoodle.

When you visit the NAHBA site to find your local office, you will find a wealth of listings but, no comments or review of their work. Depending on the HBA local you will be able to link to prospective builders websites where you can find samples and testimonials, this is not the case with all HBA's, with some you are lucky to find a phone number for a contractor to contact.

Word of mouth, is not always an available route to take, I mean just how many families do you know that have had a custom home built recently?

Now there is Hoodle, a comparative listing by various criteria such as price, amenities, and school district. Drawback here is that Hoodle is relatively new and does not have information available in all areas as of this writing.

So, this is what I do suggest;

1) define the area in which you would like to live

2) use either google or your local HBA to gather a builder pool (15 or more to start)

3) visit the BBB to discover any complaints listed against any of your preliminary builders

4) go to each builders website, if they are without a site I would continue on with my search by eliminating those who are not savvy or not wanting to offer upfront information.

5) call all that have offered a testimonial, visit their home if available

6) find out if they have an interactive project management system, this will insure transparency throughout the building process.

By following these simple guidelines you will have a better chance at finding and obtaining a quality custom home builder.

Comments

The article makes a pretty good point about finding a contractor with a transparent building process. After all, you will want to make sure that they are open and honest with you about the entire construction. Ideally you should be able to see where your money is going in terms of supply and construction labor throughout the process.

My brother wants to build his home from the ground up, and I suggested he hire a builder that would help him with this. Your article had some great tips for choosing a contractor like this, and I liked how you said to research any potential builders online by checking out their website and contact any testimonials they offer. Thanks for the help; I'll share this with my brother to help him hire a home builder.

My goal this year is to have my dream house built, so it's important for me to find a reputable custom home builder that I can trust of providing me a quality home and a great customer service. This is why I appreciate that you suggested checking BBB in order to determine if there are any complaints listed against any of the custom home builders that you are interested in. I will make sure to consider all your tips for finding a custom home builder.

My most favorite part of your blog is when you talked about how you should consider calling the past clients of the custom home builder that you're interested in so you can talk to them and ask them about the services that they received from the home builder. My husband and I think that it's time for us to finally have our own house. We want to add personal touches to the house that we're looking to build, so we're interested in hiring a custom home builder. One of the most important factor for us in choosing a custom home builder is their reputation, so it will surely help us to choose the right one by knowing what their past clients have to say about their service. Thanks for sharing all your tips.

I like that you mention how you can find information on home builders from a variety of sources, such as online or by word of mouth. Since there are options, it would probably be a good idea to try and use them all so that you can get as much information as possible on the different options. Once you've narrowed down the list of potential builders through your research, you'd probably want to meet with them in person so that you can talk about the custom home you want and ask questions in order to find out which one will be able to provide you with the best results.

I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

James Rogla
1/12/2018

This post give me the useful information to custom home builder. Some post give the good experience like this post. I am sharing your post with my friend. Keep it up! Rubber flooring tiles

Jimym
1/11/2018

I want to build a new home for myself so that's why I am searching on the internet about it. This post is very informative and helpful for me which is about How to Choose a Custom Home Builder. I will must share this information with others. Rubber matting supplier in UK

I like that you provided some tips on how to choose a custom home builder such as doing your own research and gathering feedback from past clients. It is important to verify with the BBB if the builder has outstanding credentials and if they have never received any complaints which could be a red flag for you. Also, you may want to look at some of the testimonials provided by past clients. This would truly help in your decision whether to hire the builder's services or not. If I were to look for a custom home builder, I would definitely take this into consideration. Thanks.

Location and Floorplan are my two biggest factors when considering a new home. They are the two things that last the years. I have had trouble with homes before but that quickly become blurred with time. The location and floor plan are a bit tough to change. The floor plan is possible but SUCH a pain. expensive too,

Great article. Thank you for posting this delicious content for all your subscribers!

Thanks for this informative article with all of us...this information is vey helpful for the one who is looking for "how to choose a custom home builder"

I like what you say about looking at the better business bureau first. It's good to know that others have had a good experience with the custom home builder you're looking at. My brother is looking at building a new home. I'll make sure to tell him to check with the BBB before hiring someone.

This is some great advice, especially the stuff about contacting any references that the home builder might have. After all, it is very likely that you have a specific vision in mind for what you want your custom home to look like. In order to make sure that you can bring that vision into reality, you need to find a custom home builder with prior experience similar to what you want done.

Now that my husband's job is set in stone, we are ready to move out of our starter home and build our dream home. It is good to know that one should define the area in which they would like to live before choosing a custom home builder. It is also helpful to know that calling all builders who have offered testimonials would be beneficial. I will share this information with my husband, thanks.

I have always dreamed of having my own custom home built. This summer, my husband and I are hoping to start the plans to make this dream a reality. As we look for a custom home builder, we will be sure to go to each builders' website like you suggested.

I like how you say that you would want to find out what area you want to live in before you hire a home builder. It would make sense to find somewhere that you want to live before you even start planning the build. My husband and I want to build a bigger home for our family so we'll have to follow your advice and find a place where we want to live first.

I feel like the suggestion to go local when getting a new home builder was really good. I have heard that this is important since a local builder is more likely to understand what laws and regulations are associated with building a home in a specific location. I'll pass the tip onto my sister since she's been contemplating having a home built in the fall.

I want to make sure that I get the right people to build my home. It makes sense that I would want to ask for references! That way I know what they are capable of.

I agree that before you hire a building contractor you need to visit their website. It would seem that their website could tell you a lot about how they work and what their experience is. I'm looking for a building contractor to help with a home build that I'm doing so I'll have to research their website before I hire anyone.

Such a nice article thanks we liked it.

I appreciate your comment on finding an area that you would like to live before you find a home builder. It would seem that if you know where you want to live you could find someone familiar with the area to help you out. I'm looking to build a new home now that I have the budget for it so I'll have to define where I want to live before I start looking for contractors.

We are getting ready to build our custom home. Naturally, we want to find a builder that will be able to capture our vision and make it a reality. As you said, looking at a contractor's website can help determine if they would be a good fit for you. Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I have been considering building a home this summer, so I appreciate the tips given in this article. It mentioned that you should visit the BBB to see if there have been any previous complaints about your preliminary builder list. Would it also be wise to ask for references from a builder to see what their previous work looks like? We want to make sure we are choosing the best possible custom home builder for our home.

Review sites like Angie's List or Homestars in Canada are also a great way to find home builders. You can see the reviews and comments of past customers.

You have to be very careful in choosing the custom home builder for you. The realization of your dream home will depend on it. Make sure that you are trusting the professionals that will give you their best work.

You have some great ideas for finding a good home builder. I like how you talked about gathering a "builder pool" on the internet. I hadn't thought about looking at that much, but it'd be good to have 15 to compare to each other when we have our new home built.

You know exactly what kind of home you want, whether it’s traditional, Mediterranean, modern or another style entirely. Find a builder with years of experience doing exactly what you want.

Thanks for sharing some tips for choosing a custom home builder. My husband and I are considering hiring one to build a new home for us. You make a great point about researching potential builders online. I would think that it is important to make sure you are hiring someone with a good reputation as well as the proper experience. Hopefully, we can start asking around for recommendations as well.

My husband and I want to build our dream home and need to find a builder. It's great to know that you can visit the BBB to find out if a builder has any complaints against them. I would also recommend getting builders that are local, so that they are close by and easy to contact.

1. Define your needs. What size, type and price range of home do you need? 2. Experience counts. While every builder was once a new builder, experience matters. 3. Are past buyers satisfied? Ask for – and check – references from past home buyers. 4. Verify the builder is licensed (where required) and adequately insured. 5. Is there a design fit? Does this builder have expertise in the style of home you seek? 6. Warranty and service. How does this builder stack up for each? 7. Resale value. Have past homes from this builder maintained or increased value? 8. Industry involvement. Is the builder a member of the local Home Builder’s Association? 9. Tour model homes or customer homes. There’s absolutely no substitute for this step. 10. Look for signs of quality. In workmanship, materials and practices when you tour these homes.

The new patent box helps in lower the burden of unwanted taxes and financially Help the people to meet their needs. It will affect the thinking of population and help them to further deal with problems. It was much a needed one decision

We've been saving to get a custom home built for a few years now. We want to build out in a different city so we don't have any idea who to go with. I think that we can use your tips to find a good builder as long as we make sure to speak with several before settling on one.

I would love to be able to make my own custom home. I think that it would be a great idea to be able to have the exact kinds of things that you want in your home. It would make it more worth buying a home.

Thanks for sharing a great article!! Knowing how to choose a custom home builder is really helpful. It doesn't matter you need to add a room or want to renovate entire home, get help from a right professional will always makes a difference. Yeah, I agree that reading customer testimonials is worthy to make a wise decision. Visiting the BBB is also helpful.. no doubt!! Regards Ruben

Thanks for this article and sharing information on how to choose a custom home builder. These seem like awesome tips to find a good custom home builder. Keep sharing such useful articles. Have a nice day ahead. Thanks and regards.

Thanks for pointing out how to choose a custom home builder. You make a good point about how important it is to pay attention to customer feedback. I also like that you mention visiting past clients' homes to view the structure. It seems like that is the best way to be sure that your builder will do the correct job.

I like to follow your blogs its really informative. Above mentioned tools are just amazing best to manage a construction project efficiently. I just wonder if these tools comprises in one.

Almost all the custom home builders company and agency now maintain a website of their work. It is a very big plus. Anyone who want to meet a custom home builder can easily check their website and previous working tracking report. You got some very good point to consider before choosing a right home builder. Love this.

Checking out the BBB is a great first step in finding a home builder. If you see any major complaints, it might be best to try another company. If you see that they have a really good reputation though, I would say it is safe to hire them for you home building needs. Thanks for the awesome info!

Choosing a home builder is a big decision, but these tips should make it a lot easier. You should definitely do all of the research that you can on potential companies to prevent making a bad choice! Thanks so much for sharing these tricks.

Nowadays internet helping great ways to all of them. For Custom home building i always find right contractor by using various aspects like previous projects,budget and location.

I have been scouting for a reputable new home builder in Las Vegas. I am not satisfied with the results of my search.

These seem like great tips to find a good custom home builder. I agree, word of mouth can be a great way to get a few references for good home builders, but there aren't always people on hand who have experience with home builders. I found Tip #6 very helpful. It seems like a good idea to go with a home building company that has an interactive project management system, since that's a good transparent way to keep track of what's going on through the building process.

Hi; How to Choose a Custom Home Builder is nice site. Word of mouth, is not always an available route to take, How many families do you know that have had a custom home built recently. I like these. It is very important to choosing builders. Thanks for sharing. Please visit again...... http://cincinnati.handyhomepros.com

Leave Comment
Yay! You've decided to leave a comment. That's fantastic! Please keep in mind that comments are moderated. So, please do not use a spammy keyword or a domain as your name, or it will be deleted. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation instead. Thanks for dropping by!